- Heroin smuggler opens fire at police in northern Vietnam
- Vietnamese drug ring tried for smuggling half a ton of heroin
- Police nab two heroin smugglers in northern Vietnam
- Vietnamese man arrested for smuggling heroin near China border
- Heroin smugglers seized in Vietnam, Laos joint operation
- Australian national escapes death for heroin smuggling in Vietnam
- Lao men chased down for smuggling 23kg of heroin into Vietnam
- Vietnam drug kingpin, 8 henchmen get death sentence for heroin smuggling
Customs officials in Hanoi seized nearly 200 kilograms of dried leaves they suspect to be the narcotic plant khat earlier this week.
Anti-smuggling and drug control investigators stopped the suspicious shipments as they arrived at Noi Bai International Airport from Kenya.
The narcotic leaf gets its kick from a chemical called cathinone, a stimulant that has similar effects to amphetamine. Users tend to pack the leaves into their mouths and chew them slowly, allowing the leaves to break down and the cathinone to enter the bloodstream. Side effects include rotten teeth and mouth disease.
Khat leaves produce an euphoric effect that can become addictive.
While heroin remains the most widely used illicit drug in Vietnam, the market for amphetamine-type stimulants continues to expand and diversify, prompting recent crackdowns.
Từ vựng liên quan
Tin tức liên quan
The company has paid its fines and plans to shut down because of the long suspension period of nine months.
The agreement would remove some E.U. tariffs on Japan.
Hanoi customs said Sunday they’d seized 55 rhino horns weighing 125 kilograms in plaster blocks sent from the United Arab Emirates.
Three major taxi firms in Hanoi have recently joined forces to have their 3,000 vehicles operating under a single brand starting in October.
Tourists have been flocking to Quang Ngai Province’s Truong Chu Pond, which is spectacularly adorned with water lilies in peak bloom season.
Vietnam’s tank crew led their group in the semifinal of the Tank Biathlon competition Sunday at the International Army Games.